A Virginia-Sired horse is a horse registered with The Jockey Club, conceived in Virginia, foaled outside the state and sired by a stallion registered with the Virginia Thoroughbred Association.
Incentive Programs & Eligibility
- OWNERS of registered Virginia-Sired horses are eligible for up to a 25% Owners Bonus for winning non-Virginia-restricted races at any racetrack in the Mid-Atlantic region (NY, NJ, PA, DE, WV, MD). Owners of Virginia-Sired horses that win non-Virginia-restricted races at National Steeplechase Association sanctioned meets in the Mid-Atlantic region (NY, NJ, PA, DE, WV, MD, VA) are eligible for a 25% purse bonus. There is a $10,000 cap on any one award. Virginia-Sired horse Owners Bonus monies will not count towards a horse’s earnings.
- Registered Virginia-Sired horses are eligible for all Virginia-restricted races.
- Breeders of Virginia-Sired horses are NOT eligible for Virginia Breeders Awards.
To Register A Virginia-Sired Horse
To register a Virginia-Sired horse online, please click here.
To register by mail, please submit the following materials:
- A completed and signed Virginia-Sired application form for each horse to be registered, or register online here
- A current W-9
- A check payable to the Virginia Breeders Fund in full payment for registration fees in accordance with the current fee schedule (see above)
Send all materials to the VTA office:
Virginia Thoroughbred Association
250 West Main Street, Suite 100
Charlottesville, VA 22902
TO REGISTER FOR THE VIRGINIA-SIRED OWNERS BONUS PROGRAM
Please click here. After filling out the online application, please send a current W-9 to the VTA office.
Please note that you do not have to be a member of the VTA at the time of registering your horse. However, you will need to be a member in order to collect any Owners Bonus award. If the owner is not a current member of the VTA at the time the bonus money is earned, $100 will be deducted from the bonus amount and the owner of the horse will be made a member of the VTA. A current W-9 must be on file at the VTA office before bonus money will be distributed. To become a member, please click here.
DISCLAIMER: Nothing contained herein creates a contractual obligation for payment of any award or bonus by the VTA or any other entity. The VTA’s receipt of sufficient funding for the bonus or award is a condition precedent to any obligation it may have to pay any award or bonus. The VTA reserves the right at any time, with or without notice, and in its sole discretion to (i) change the amount of the bonus or award or (ii) cease paying bonuses or awards.